- THEM: "Caroline's getting big! It's time to have another one, don't you think!" ME: "I do! We're adopting from Uganda this summer! THEM: "Isn't that in Africa!?!" (ok, I guess you had to see his weirded-out face to get this one.)
- SOMEONE ELSE: "What? Isn't it expensive???" ME: It can be, depending on what adoption route you take. THEM: "How much will it cost YOU?" ME: "umm... $XX??" THEM: "WHAT!? Why does it cost so much to buy a child?"
- ANOTHER: "Don't you want more kids of your own?" (They will all be my own, you nut!)
- ME: "Yes, we'll probably get pregnant again. YET ANOTHER: "WHAT!?! You're crazy. I don't know why ANYONE would have more than 2 kids."
- SOMEONE TRYING TO BE GRACIOUS: "Well it's a good thing. There are lots of those orphans out there I'm sure." ME: "There really are. I'd love for our church to have an orphan emphasis Sunday sometime, because I really think there are so many people here who could give such a great home to some of those children." ............. crickets ....... Conversation officially dead.
Friday, December 11, 2009
My Worst Adoption Conversation
I was recently at a party where our adoption came up. The string of awful & inappropriate one-liners I got in response were uncomfortably funny enough for a sitcom. It's amazing how much wrong can be said in two minutes. Here are some of my favorites: